Smithfield Canyon Ski/Snowshoe, 10 February, 2019
Sixteen snowshoers and skiers headed up Smithfield Canyon on an unexpectedly mild winter day. We enjoyed a mixture of clouds, sun, a light breeze and the gurgling of Summit Creek flowing next to the trail. The trail was well packed and easily traveled on both skis and snowshoes.
- 16 participants: Dave P., Peter, Susan, Dave W., Jane, Maggie and Rachel on skis. Kathy, Brent (leader), Lynne, David We., Michelle, Bryce, Kathleen, Lexi and Bree on snowshoes.
- Organized carpools and drove 12 miles to the USFS boundary in Smithfield Canyon.
- On the trail at 10:40, with lunch at the summer trailhead 12:15-12:45. Back at our vehicles at 1:50 and Logan by 2:30.
- Mostly cloudy with comfortable temperatures, about 35 F. Windy during our lunch (snow depth was 32 inches), followed by partially clearing skies and warming temperatures. A major winter storm was forecast for early afternoon but it did not arrive until evening.
- Traveled 4.7 miles with 650 feet of ascent and descent.
Thanks to Brent for the narrative and photos, Dave P., Brent, Kathy and Jane, for photos and Dave W. for photos and GPS data.